Day 1: Eyes Open
In this introductory session, we will think about what makes a great photograph and why. Then we will work out what makes your photographs particular to YOU!
- You will be introduced to a Digital SLR camera and we will explain the manual settings, fully exploring how to capture light and time in a single image and make the perfect exposure!
- Using a series of famous photographs as our guide, we will visit locations near Stills to re-create these images and investigate the successful elements of the photograph’s composition.
- You will then have the opportunity to make your own, entirely unique set of images.
Day 2: Back to the Future
Taking the photographic lessons we learned on Day 1, we will further investigate your particular uniqueness as an artist photographer!
- Travel back in time before the invention of digital cameras and explore the magic of the darkroom.
- Experiment with a camera-less technique called the Photogram which will allow us to make beautiful images using only paper, objects and our imaginations!
Day 3: Cut & Paste
Using some of your spare prints from Day 1 & 2, we will explore and create a series of photographic collages.
- Using cut-out techniques, drawing, painting, embroidery and more, we will transform your previous images into new and exciting works of art.
- Experiment with making joiners, (a photographic technique made famous by artist David Hockney), where one picture is assembled from several overlapping photographs.
Day 4: Move It!
In this session you will have the chance to experiment with making your photographs move!
- We will look at previous examples of artists that have used stop-frame-animation or still images to make a narrative film.
- Develop a short story, and then shoot and edit your mini film using Adobe Premiere.
- You will also have the option of producing and recording a unique soundtrack.