Tutor: Zoe Hamill
Take your imagination on a journey and experiment with a range of skills including digital photography, photograms and collage.
If you have an interest in photography and visual art and are interested in trying new things, then this course is for you. The emphasis is on having fun developing your own visual style and meeting other aspiring young artists.
Day 1: Eyes Open
In this introductory session, we will think about what makes a great photograph and why. Then we will work out what makes your photographs particular to YOU!
- You will be introduced to a Digital SLR camera and we will explain the manual settings, fully exploring how to capture light and time in a single image and make the perfect exposure!
- Using a series of famous photographs as our guide, we will visit locations near Stills to re-create these images and investigate the successful elements of the photograph’s composition.
- You will then have the opportunity to make your own, entirely unique set of images.
Day 2: Keep Them Open
In this session, you will have another opportunity to be ‘out & about’ making photographs using your digital camera. This is a chance to build on the work you made on Day 1 and focus on the aspects of photography that interest you most! You will also have a chance to use and experiment with Adobe Photoshop to enhance your images and/or make some Surreal new compositions!
- Practise using your camera on a manual setting and in combination with a tripod.
- Learn about the Surrealist movement in photography.
- Learn how to use Photoshop to make simple but effective changes to your photographs as well as using it to make strange new compositions in the manner of the Surrealists!
Day 3: Back to the Future
Taking the photographic lessons we learned on Day 1 & 2, we will further investigate your particular uniqueness as an artist photographer!
- Travel back in time before the invention of digital cameras and explore the magic of the darkroom.
- Experiment with a camera-less technique called the Photogram which will allow us to make beautiful images using only paper, objects and our imaginations!
Day 4: Cut & Paste
Using some of your spare prints from Day 1, 2 & 3 we will explore and create a series of photographic collages.
- Using cut-out techniques, drawing, painting, embroidery and more, we will transform your previous images into new and exciting works of art.
- Experiment with making joiners, (a photographic technique made famous by artist David Hockney), where one picture is assembled from several overlapping photographs.
As this course is specifically designed for children, there is no concessionary price.