Tutor: Brittonie Fletcher
It can be intimidating trying to figure out which negatives will work best for which processes, and how to tune them to suit your needs and vision. This class will help solve the problem and give you a good foundation for building printing curves. We will discuss how to make adjustments to get more control over contrast and detail in your final prints – whilst also being aware of the visible range availability of your process.
This workshop is designed to guide you through the basics of digital negatives and curve linearisation, through a combination of hands-on practice with tutor demonstrations followed by participants making, asking questions, and working through problems and troubleshooting. Perfect for those looking to get started on a project from home with the tools and materials you already have.
We’ll begin with a digital image in Photoshop – which could be a scan of a negative or a digital file from any camera (DSLR to smartphone) – and work through turning this image into a negative to contact print whatever size you want within the parameters of your printer. This is a work-along day and not a lecture, thus it is expected participants will have the materials necessary and prepared for the day.
For this course, you will need access to:
- A digital printer (any – home office printer or a photocopier with USB port/bluetooth, through to professional Epson/Canon).
- Access to a quick analogue process such as black and white darkroom printing or cyanotype (please email if unsure if your process of choice will work for the course or to discuss what prep might need to be done). What you learn in this workshop can be applied the same way to other analogue printing processes.
- Media parameters/limitations
- Discussion on ink choices for best light resist workflow + settings, and why
- Printer setup and basic guidelines (this will be focused on Epson and Canon but advice available for others)
- Negative calibration
- Midtone adjustments with curves – Making changes
- Final tuning
- Saving .ACV file
All sessions will be conducted via Zoom. We would ask you to download this in advance and make sure you have a stable internet connection.
Please note: all sessions will be conducted via Zoom. We would ask you to download this in advance and make sure you have a stable internet connection.
Students, anyone over the age of 65, and those in receipt of any form of benefits can claim the concessionary price, offering a 10% discount on the full course price. Valid proof of eligibility must be produced on the first day of the course. Please use the code CONCESSION when prompted at checkout.