Stills School is an alternative photography school for 16-25 year olds who face barriers to accessing the arts.
STAGE 1 CONTACT
Contact is an introductory photography course that will teach you basic photography skills as well as encourage you to develop your own projects. Whether you prefer darkrooms, digital or moving image we’ll make sure you feel confident using your new skills.
During Contact you will have the option to develop skills in the following areas:
- Camera handling skills (digital and analogue)
- Film-processing and darkroom printing
- Experimental processes
- Digital post production with Photoshop
In a small group you will learn about different photographers and be supported to find your own style. All materials and equipment are provided.
The next Contact will run in May 2020. Dates will be published mid March.
STAGE 2 STILLS ACADEMY
Stills Academy provides the opportunity to develop your photographic practice with Stills’ support. Over a 4-month period you will have access to our photographic production facilities to experiment and produce a new body of work that will be exhibited in Stills.
The Academy will provide support in the following ways:
- Artists / Exhibitions / Workshops. Learn about different photographers and their practice, visit exhibitions and develop your style in experimental workshops aimed at inspiring your practice and giving you space to develop new ideas.
- Project Development. Develop a new body of work with support from Stills’ tutors. There will be the opportunity to exhibit your work in a group display on completion of the Academy.
- Project Feedback. Learn how to give and receive constructive criticism of your photographic work. An essential skill for developing projects and supporting peers.
- Visiting Artist. Meet a variety of artists who use photography in their practice. Find out how they got into photography and what they do with it now
Applications for February – May term now open. To apply complete this online form.
Stills School is free for young people who face barriers to participating in the arts. To take part you must either be out of education and employment or face financial, social or health related barriers. Contact runs four times per year and the Academy runs twice a year.
The Academy is primarily aimed at those who have completed Contact or who have previous basic photographic experience, this is an opportunity to take your practice to the next level. Whatever your goals for your photography we will support you to achieve them.
SKILLS & PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Stills offers the Bronze Arts Award with Contact, verified by Trinity College London so there is the option to get accreditation with the course.
Stills School is free to participate, and most travel expenses can be reimbursed. Equipment and materials will be provided.
We expect everyone to attend all of the scheduled sessions. Any concerns about attendance should be discussed prior to enrolment.
GET IN TOUCH
If you want to hear about application dates, ask us a question or find out if this is the right thing for you give us a call, send an email or pop in and have a look around.
0131 622 6200