Tutor: Michael Vince Kim
During this two-day workshop, you will learn how to tell a compelling story via photographs. Participants will gain the tools for conceiving of and crafting their own projects, with pointers on how to find ideas, develop your vision, and self-edit. We will cover a broad range of themes, including subject interaction, ethical dimensions, natural light usage and composition. There will also be practical guidance on financing projects, and where to place finished work.
Between the two sessions there will be an assignment, intended to provide a practical application of newly acquired skills – this will be reviewed in our second meeting.
This workshop is perfect for those with a good understanding of digital photography, seeking to hone their storytelling abilities and push the boundaries of documentary photography.
– Introduction to photographic storytelling.
– Case study of Michael’s work in relation to the practicalities involved with funding, organising and producing a documentary project.
– Discussion on the work of inspirational photographers, film makers, and artists.
– Consideration of the ethical challenges encountered when producing documentary photography.
– Introduction of practical task, and review of images.
There will be a practical assignment to be carried out before the 2nd session.
– Photo story workshop and discussion on style.
– Editing: how to select the right pictures to suit narrative objectives.
– How to work within time constraints.
– Practical task
– Portfolio review of work produced during the workshop.
– Presentation on opportunities, competitions, and publishing documentary photography projects.
Courses are subject to minimum enrolment. Please register early, within five days of the start date, to reduce the likelihood of course cancellation.
Please read our cancellation policy before booking.
Students, anyone over the age of 65, and those in receipt of any form of benefits can claim the concessionary price, offering a 10% discount on the full course price. Valid proof of eligibility must be produced on the first day of the course. Please use the code CONCESSION when prompted at checkout.