Due to the latest COVID restrictions, this course will not be able to run as scheduled. We hope to reschedule dates later in the year, so please email email@example.com to register your interest and keep informed of any further updates.
Tutor: Gavin Fort
Employing a mix of practical exercises and critical reflection, this introductory day course provides an overview of fundamental techniques for recording and editing voice, ambiences and sound effects for podcasts, video/film and art installations or just for fun. The course uses industry standard software and introduces a range of popular, high quality microphones and portable recording devices.
The course has enough flexibility to be steered by the individual interests of the participants, but you will generally cover; the properties of sound, microphone selection and placement, gain structure, effective planning, noise limiting and reduction, sound editing, dynamics, sound processing and spatial effects.
If desired, we can look at a variety of techniques for improving sound quality and recording audio from video conferencing, as we all find ourselves working and interacting in this manner every day. Computer experience is required.
- Microphone Selection – why and when to use
- Applications, characteristics, limitations
- Microphone type – Dynamic, Condenser, Lavalier, Shotgun, Boundary, Stereo, Binaural
- Polar Patterns – Omni, Cardoid, Attenuated and others
- Practical microphone placement and technique
- Critical distance, proximity effect, shielding, simple acoustic treatments, filtering
- Lavalier microphone – positioning, preventing distortion & rustles
- Booming – positioning, preventing microphone bumps
- Stereo Mics – phase issues
- Editing techniques (fades, looping)
- Building a mix
- Basic sound processing, noise reduction and dynamics (channel strips, EQ and compression)
- Insert effects (modulation, filtering, distortion)
- Send effects (delay, reverb)
- Automation (of volume, panning etc)
- Bussing (sending signals to multiple fx)
- Mastering effects (limiting)
- Exporting and file types
Students, anyone over the age of 65, and those in receipt of any form of benefits can claim the concessionary price, offering a 10% discount on the full course price. Valid proof of eligibility must be produced on the first day of the course. Please use the code CONCESSION when prompted at checkout.